Have any questions about the Access Center or about college in general? Below is a handy FAQ for you to use.

Still have questions that we can answer?  Contact us!  We’re here to help you.

Mesa Counts on College

Are children welcome at the Access Center?
Generally speaking, the Access Center is not designed for young children.  Children under 12 must be accompanied by someone over the age of 12 who is responsible for them.  The staff is not responsible for the supervision of children.  Disruptive or unsupervised children will be asked to leave.

Are there any jobs at the Access Center?
As the Access Center gets up and running, there may be openings for students and parents who have been through the experience of applying and getting into college to act as mentors.  We have referral services for employment, if needed.

Can anyone use the computers?
Only students or adults who are registered at the center may use the computers. They can only be used for activities related to college or careers.

Can I bring family members and friends with me to the Access Center?
All individuals 12 and over must be registered with the Front Desk.  We ask that family members and friends meet the same expectations for dress and behavior that we have for those being served.

Can I do my homework at the Access Center?
There will be a lounge area where homework and quiet talk will be okay if you are waiting for your appointment or a workshop.  However, you must be a customer of the Access Center.

How long can I use the Access Center’s services?
Services are available for an unlimited time period, with college graduation in mind as the ultimate goal.

Is there a cost to use the center?
In general, the Access Center’s services are free.  However, the GED Test Prep and Tutoring Program has a one-time $10 registration fee.

What can I wear at the Access Center?
The Access Center will follow the same guidelines as those of Mesa Public Schools.  Basically, it means that individuals will not dress or groom themselves in a manner that presents a risk to the health, safety, or general welfare of the individual, other individuals or staff, or that is counterproductive to the center’s objectives.

What if I went to college and dropped out or if I need to take the GED?
Mesa Counts on College Access Center provides resources for individuals who wish to re-enter college, as well as for those who would like to take the GED.

What is the Mesa Counts on College Access Center?
The Mesa Counts on College Access center is a full-service facility, designed as a place where students and parents can get information, resources, and advisement related to college and careers.  Mesa Counts on College is a collaborative endeavor led by the City of Mesa, Mesa Community College, and Mesa Public Schools.

What types of services are available at the Access Center?
Essentially, if you are looking for any help regarding furthering your education, including going to college or obtaining your GED, we will be able to assist you.  We handle issues involving financial aid, testing, college selection, and much more.  For a more detailed list of our services, feel free to check our Services Offered page.

When is the Access Center open?
We are open Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Where is the Access Center located?
It is located at 635 East Broadway Road, Mesa, AZ 85204.  This is between Mesa Drive and Horne on the south side of Broadway.

Who can go to the Access Center?
All those who need assistance with anything related to college and are willing to follow the expectations related to respect for persons and property are welcome.

Who staffs the Access Center?
The Access Center has an onsite Director, support staff, and college advisors.

General College Questions

Can I get financial aid if my parents are higher income earning?
Every student should file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for each year they intend on attending college, regardless of their parents’ income.  Though a higher EFC (Estimated Family Contribution) might render a student ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant, individual institutions have their own formulaic process for determining what aid a student might be eligible for.  Additionally, a student unlikely receive needs-based aid might be eligible for merit-based aid awarded to them by the college or university they attend.  Merit-based aid is assistance provided to students with strong GPAs and test scores.

Can I still go to college with a “C” average?
Yes!  Colleges need varying levels of students, and they consider more than your GPA for admissions (e.g. standardized test scores and extracurricular activities).  However, generally speaking, the lower a student’s GPA, the less likely they are to receive merit-based aid.  For average students, community college can be a very viable option, as they allow a student to essentially reconstruct an academic record.  This can help increase potential financial aid for admittance to a 4-year college.

Do I have to take the SAT and/or ACT?
While it is not required for community colleges, most 4-year colleges expect you to take either the SAT or ACT.  It is advised that you check whether the colleges you are interested in need you to submit your SAT or ACT scores.  Also, many colleges and universities use SAT/ACT scores are qualifiers for institutional scholarships.  Therefore, it may be very economically beneficial to take either the SAT or the ACT after deliberate preparation.

Should I go to community college or a university if I’m an adult?
That depends on you!  A couple of factors to consider include cost of tuition and level of preparation.  Generally, the community college pathway is more financially accessible and might be a better choice if you have been out of school for awhile and need to rebuild a strong academic record.

What is a good ACT/SAT score?
A good ACT/SAT score is one that considerably helps your chances of getting admitted into the school of your choice and positions you to receive merit-based financial aid from that institution.  An indicator to be mindful of when measuring your standardized test scores is your national percentile (ACT/PSAT/SAT).

What is considered a “Good” college?
A “good” college is one that sufficiently allows you to reach your full academic potential.  There is no single profile of a “good” college that will fit the needs of all students, but you can find a college that is a “good” fit for you.  Finding your college match requires you to engage in some serious consideration concerning what factors are important to you, such as average class size or a humanities-based vs a major-focused curriculum. You will want to look for a school that will create an environment that is both challenging and stimulating in which you can flourish.

What is the difference between a certificate program and a degree program?
In general, certificate programs are designed to provide you with career specific skills, while degree programs are designed to provide you with a foundational higher education background that is often essential and required to enter and specialize in particular fields.  Certificate programs tend to be shorter, cost less, and cover a specific range of subject matter.  Degree programs need you to meet general education parameters in addition to subject area requirements.